This month, we saw a date on our calendar that we wanted to share with you all. On December 6th the world celebrated National Microwave Oven Day. Microwave ovens are not only one of the most influential kitchen appliances, ideal for heating leftovers as everyone knows, but they also are a fun, quick (and typically less expensive) way to prepare endless dinners using fresh and healthy ingredients. One could say that the microwave’s reputation (and its use for that matter) is generally diminished (so much counter space just to make your milk warm in the mornings!). Microwaves are not useful for every cooking technique, but there are hundreds of good books on how to get the most out of this undervalued machine.
Reading time: 7 Minutes
It’s that time of year again, when the cold starts to break and warmer weather gradually begins to grace us with its presence.As the seasons change, we often seek out and welcome food and drink that reflects our surroundings.When things start to heat up, our desire for beverages that quench our thirst and cool us off grows exponentially with the increase in temperature.In a world filled with slushies and punches, there is one classic cocktail that has been helping us usher in Spring and Summer for centuries: Sangria
<strong>Tiempo de lectura:</strong> 6 Minutos<strong>Autor:</strong> Steven Dragun<strong>Fecha:</strong> 03/24/2023<strong>Categoría:</strong> Cócteles
HOW TO BEST USE THE MICROWAVE
Here are a few helpful tips that we came across during our research:
Instead of dumping your leftovers in a pile in a microwave-safe container, you need to spread them out in a ring, leaving plenty of space in the middle. This prevents cold patches and uneven warming, giving you sizzling hot food in a minute or two.
Most microwaves can only penetrate food that is an inch thick or less. So, for best results cut the foods you are cooking in the microwave into pieces that are an inch thick or less.
Salt attracts microwaves, so if your food has a fine layer of salt on top of it, the upper part of the food will get dried out. If you like your foods salty, add the salt after you heat it in the microwave or make sure that the salt is mixed in.
The American Chemistry Counsel suggests only using round or oval bowls in the microwave. The corners of square and rectangular containers receive more energy then the center, so food heats unevenly.
When you’re reheating any bread product that’s a little stale, like a baguette or pizza crust, add a glass of water to the microwave. The steam from the glass of water will slightly moisten the bread, making it taste much fresher.
WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER MICROWAVE WITH SINGLE-USE PLASTIC CONTAINERS
Not sure if your bowls or plates are microwave-safe? Michigan State University says that you can find out with a simple test. Place the dish you want to test inside the microwave, and then place a glass of 1 cup of water next to it. Heat both on high for 1 minute. If the empty container is cool after 1 minute it is microwave-safe, but if it is slightly warm, you should only use it when reheating foods, not for cooking. If the container is hot, it’s not microwave safe.
5 Delicious microwave recipes to make and what Sherry to pair with
1. Spicy microwave potato curry – Paired with oloroso Don Nuño
- 3 – potatoes
- 1 big – onion
- 1 tsp – curry or red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp – garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp – ajwain or omam or carom seeds
- 1/4 tsp – turmeric powder
- salt as needed
- 2 tsp – oil
- 1 tbsp – chopped coriander leaves
Recipe of how to Make Spicy Microwave Potato Curry:
- Wash and prick the potatoes in 3 to 4 places. Cook on microwave high for 3 mins.
- To ensure even cooking, try to change the position of the potatoes now and then, say after 2 mins.
- Let it cool for 2 mins. This standing time is a must.
- Peel off the skin and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- In a microwave, take a safe cooking bowl or vessel, add the oil and ajwain or omam. Mix well and keep in microwave high for 2 mins.
- Add the chopped onions. Mix well and again cook for 3 mins on high.
- Add the spice powders, chopped coriander and salt.
- Mix well and cook again on high for 2 mins.
- Add the cooked potato to it and mix well by sprinkling very little water. This is done to coat the potato with the spice powder and salt.
- Cook on high for 4 mins. Rotate the dish after 2 mins for even cooking.
- Serve as an accompaniment for rice.
What’s the best sherry with spicy potato curry?
We like high-glycerine content wines to go with spicy dishes like this curry potato. Try the bold oloroso Don Nuño with it, serve slightly chilled.
2. Chocolate cake Microwave Recipe – Paired with Deluxe Cream Capataz Andrés.
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
Recipe for how to make Microwave Chocolate Cake:
- Spray a medium microwave-safe bowl with non-stick spray and set aside
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and milk
- blend together.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt
- blend into the mixture until smooth.
- Pour into greased bowl.
- Cover and cook in the microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched.
- Since all microwaves cook differently, adjust the cooking time to accommodate your machine.
- To serve, let the cake cool five minutes, then cover the bowl with a plate and turn both bowl and plate upside down so the cake falls onto the plate.
What’s the best sherry with Chocolate cake dessert?
Cream sherry is a wonderful option to accompany any chocolate-based and vanilla dessert. Try it with Deluxe Cream Capataz Andrés.
3. Healthy chicken fajitas Microwave Recipe – Paired with Lustau Fino Jarana
- 2 Microwave Chicken Fajitas
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 sweet onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 tbsp chile powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 12 flour tortillas
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup salsa
Recipe on how to make chicken fajitas Microwave Recipe:
- Combine the bell peppers, onions, and garlic together in a deep microwave-safe dish.
- Combine the chile powder and cumin powder in a bowl and add the chicken, turning to coat.
- Place the sliced chicken over the vegetables, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave the chicken and vegetables on high for 12 to 15 minutes.
- The internal temperature of the chicken should read 165 degrees F when done cooking.
- Place the tortillas on a microwave-safe plate covered with damp paper towels and microwave for about 30 seconds to warm.
- Serve the chicken, vegetables, and warm tortillas alongside the sour cream and salsa.
What’s the best sherry with Chicken Fajitas?
Garlic, peppers and cumin are elements that nicely combine with a fino wine. Enjoy this Chicken Fajitas with Lustau Fino Jarana.
4. Microwave Mac and Cheese Recipe – Paired with Amontillado de Sanlúcar
- 1/2 cup dried macaroni or shell pasta
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk, any percent
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded cheese, such as cheddar, Monterey Jack, or provolone
How to make Microwave Mac and Cheese:
- Combine the pasta, water, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl. Place the pasta, water, and salt in a deep, microwave-safe bowl and stir to combine.
- Microwave the pasta for 2 minutes. Microwave on high power for 2 minutes, then stir. Watch to see if the water is foaming over the side of the bowl and stir earlier if needed. Use oven mitts or a kitchen towel if you need to move the bowl out of the microwave to do this.
- Continue microwaving in 2-minute intervals until the pasta is cooked. Continue microwaving in 2-minute intervals, stirring between each interval, until the pasta is soft and cooked through, 4 to 8 minutes more, depending on your microwave strength. If the pasta absorbs all the water before the pasta is cooked, add another 2 tablespoons of water.
- Stir the milk and cheese into the pasta. Use oven mitts or a kitchen towel to remove the bowl from the microwave. Stir in the milk, cheese.
- Microwave in 30-second intervals to melt the cheese. Microwave on high power for 30 seconds, then stir. Continue microwaving in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the cheese has melted and forms a creamy sauce, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes total. For a creamier sauce, add an extra tablespoon or two of milk and cheese.
- Eat immediately. This mac and cheese is best when piping hot from the microwave. If you need to reheat it, add an extra splash of milk.
What’s the best sherry with Mac and Cheese ?
5 . Microwave Poached eggs Recipe – Paired with palo cortado Península
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup room temperature water
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Microwave Poached Eggs:
- Put 1/2 cup room temperature water in a microwave-safe mug. Crack the egg into the water. Poke a hole in the yolk with a toothpick, and then cover the mug with a small microwave-safe plate, or a piece of plastic wrap.
- Put the mug in the microwave and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Take out the mug, remove the plate or plastic wrap, and peek inside; you want the whites to be opaque, and the yolk to be still on the runny side. If the whites are still clear, return the cover in place and put the mug back in the microwave for another 10 to 60 seconds. To prevent explosions, do not microwave the egg longer than 30 seconds at a time, and don’t microwave longer than a total of 1 1/2 minutes.
- How long it takes to cook the egg to your liking depends primarily on the wattage of your microwave. You’ll need to play around a bit. The time can vary a lot!
- Let the cooked egg sit in the mug of hot water for 1 minute, or longer if needed. This helps firm up any soft parts of the egg white, giving you a more evenly poached egg.
- Using a spoon or fork, gently lift the egg out of the mug and set it on a slice of stale bread or a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then transfer to your serving plate and enjoy.
What’s the best sherry with Poached eggs?
The palate-coating effect of the yolk is a unique attribute of runny eggs. We like to pair this dominant sensation with an equally powerful wine. The palo cortado Península will get the job done.